Re: Preventing kde to start

On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:27:00 +0200
Francesco Pietra <frapietra@alice.it> wrote:

> On debian 32 etch/sid I am trying from a few days frustratingly to
> prevent kde from starting at the command <startx>. I already asked
> for advice but the problem was not solved. I am posing the question
> again because the position may have been blurred from repeated
> e-mails.
>
> What I want is the X-system (which is what I normally need in
> combination with Open Motif) and the possibility to start kde from
> <startkde> only when I need it.
>
> Today I updated xserver-org. What I have is:
> X-Window System version 7.0.0
> X Protocol Version 11 Rev 0 Release 7.0
>
> I removed gdm and xdm with command
> #apt-get remove gdm kdm xdm
>
> Now the system boots to text but <startx> launches both X and,
> unwillingly, also kde.
>
> I forgot before the last step to reconfigure; see what happens:
>
> debian:/home/francesco# dpkg -reconfigure kdm
> dpkg: conflicting actions --control and --remove
>
> Type dpkg --help for help about installing and deinstalling packages
> [*]; Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-friendly package management;
> Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
> Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
> Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files;
> Type dpkg --license for copyright license and lack of warranty (GNU
> GPL) [*].
>
> Options marked [*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through `less'
> or `more' !
> debian:/home/francesco#
>
> I understand that there is a conflict but I am unable to solve it.
> Help please.
> Thank you
> francesco pietra

The quick solution: create a shell script called .Xsession in your home
directory and invoke whatever clients you wish to run when X starts,
e.g.:

#!/bin/sh
xrdb -load $HOME/.Xresources
exec xterm

This script will be run when you do 'startx'.

Or if you just want to launch the X Window System alone, why not run
'X'?

You might also want to look into the alternatives for x-session-manager
and x-window-manager under /etc/alternatives.

--

Liam