Re: Sound stopped working with kernels > 2.6.15

2006 m. vasaris 22 d., trečiadienis 18:46, Michael Thaler rašė:
> When I log in into WindowMaker after rebooting and start xmms, sound works
> perfectly. But as soon as I start KDE, sound stops working. Even after
> logging out from KDE and chosing wmaker, sound doesn't work anymore.
> /etc/init.d/alsa force-reload fixes the problem. However, I tried to reload
> the modules while booting, before I actually log into KDE and this does not
> help. That is definitely a KDE related problem. Does somebody have a clue
> how this could be fixed?
Have you tried changing volume/unmuting channels with kmix or amixer after
starting KDE? KDE runs as a simple user so there is no way for it to mess up
loaded snd modules (thus, udev definitely does not have anything to do with
this problem). So there might be only three causes for the problem:
	1) on KDE startup some application blocks /dev/dsp (or alsa device directly
if you're not using dmix and don't have a sound card which supports input
from >=2 sources at once) by openning and not releasing it (likely artsd? ).
Try cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp to check if that's the case.
	2) kmix or whatever mutes/lowers volume to a minumum of some channels (toggle
KMix: Settings -> Configure Kmix -> "Restore volumes on login").
	3) some app messes up ~/.asoundrc on KDE startup (highly unlikely)