Problems with hal, devices and udev

I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have kde
3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows asking
you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really, after
googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.

The packages:
ii  linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp    2.6.15-2
in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
ii  hal
ii  hal-device-manager
ii  libhal-storage1
ii  libhal1

and a kde3.5

in the fstab no /sys, etc .

First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd

in both boxes
so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up,
manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?

And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no windows
appears. What I'm doing wrong?