Re: Very slow "Open with..." in KMail

Am Sonntag 30 Oktober 2005 22:55 schrieb Robert Gomułka:

> Thank you for your answer.
> Have you got any idea how to debug this behaviour?
> I have tried to:
> 1. Clean up my e-mails. I have copied them, then deleted from kmail. I
> have thought that it helped, but now must say it didn't.
> 2. Created a brand new user, then sent him an e-mail with attachment.
> In his case the delay may be also observed, but it is shorter than in
> my case (about 2-3 seconds).
>
> I think it is somehow connected to copying the file to temporary
> directory. But don't understand why it takes so long. And still search
> for a tool to debug this.

Hallo Robert,

I do not think its related to KMail. I am having this in Konqueror as well
when I use the Open with/Other menu choice on a file. It takes ages for
the window to appear where I can choose the application I want to use
with this file.

It seems to take more time when I do it the first time on a sesson. When I
do it subsequent time it works a bit faster.

I also have these delays when editing file types using the Properties
dialog and the tool symbol there.

I guess its related to building up a list of all applications, but well
can that be? The K Menu has such a list too and pops up faster, well it
likely preloaded it.

And then there seem to be some time going by for identifying the type
file, but as Konqueror (or the KDE subsystem doing that) also looks into
the file, thats understandable.

Anyway I have the feeling that there is room for optimization. I think its
worth to file upstream bug report about this, if not already done.

Regards,