Re: kmail corrupts emails [solved]

I complained about this a long time ago to KMail developers. KMail does
not store the metadata (Flags and the like) back into the file, but
only in the index files. (For some performance reason, but Mutt is
faster and does it)

Now once touched with Mutt, Mutt writes back the metadata into the mbox,
the KMail indexes are corrupt and one loses all the flags (read-replied
deleted, etc). I don't know if this is also true for the
maildir-format, but KMail is definitely locking in the user with this
behavior. If you only have a terminal, you can't read your mail remote.
The only way out is using IMAP and accessing it from different clients.

If it wouldn't be for the Kontact-integration, I would have abandoned
KMail for that reason as I hate lock-in scenarios. AFAIK, this hasn't
been fixed. If I get more time, I will try again with samples to use
Mutt and KMail together over a folder in maildir-format.

Best,

Rigo

Am Friday 23 September 2005 19:29 verlautbarte Theo Schmidt :