Re: kmail corrupts emails [solved]

On Monday 26 September 2005 12:30 pm, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag, 26. September 2005 14:07 schrieb Randy Kramer:
> > Is there / will there ever be a fix for this?
>
> Sure, rename your inbox to some other folder and let kmail recreate it as
> maildir. maildir does not has such problems because every e-mail is a
> seperate file. Speed then depends on the used filesystem (e.g. for lots of
> small files if you only have short text mails). Maildir is usually faster
> for mailboxes with lots of (big) attachments.

Thanks!

I suppose maildir will be OK (and maybe even better) for my inbox, which I
generally keep "trimmed" (not too many emails).

I don't think I want to do that for my mail folders which often have a lot
(thousands) of archived emails (usually short).

Is it the general consensus that mbox is more subject to corruption than
maildir?

I guess I'll want to dig into that so more--not so much for email, but because
I'm building a plain text database with multiple records per file.

I use a text record separator to separate records (currently "\n---++ ").  My
largest file at the moment is about 3000 records with 3 M characters.  I
haven't seen the need to create an index yet, but that may be coming.

I guess if I get some corruption without the index, I'll eventually notice it
in some record that I look at it, and may be able to fix it, as everything is
visible plain text, at least when viewed in a (plain) text editor.

Well, anyway, I guess there's something for me to think about here.

regards,
Randy Kramer