Re: usb storage problems

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 11:03 schrieb Theo Schmidt:
> I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some
> older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the
> desktop when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at least to know
> under which name the device can be mounted. Even without other SCSI
> devices, the devices seem to vary from sda1 through sda5 to sdd1. I did
> once in a fit of frenzy create 20 different lines in /etc/fstab in order to
> find the right device, but it didn't really work. Years ago I could find
> the right device in /proc somewhere, but this no longer seems possible.

That's how I currently do this (Debian Etch with X and KDE from Sid):
$ cat /proc/partitions
[...]
   8     0     256000 sda
   8     1     255984 sda1
$ pmount /dev/sda1

That's it, it is now available as /media/sda1. No fstab entries, not root
login, no udev and with linux-2.6.11.
Instead, you can also look at the dmesg	output.
Or you become root and look at:
sg_scan -i
sg_map -sd

However: linux-2.6 brings you some advantage: if you only have one memory
stick to take care of, it is always the same device (for me: /dev/sda).

All this didn't change in quite a while. Personally, I like a static /dev.

HS