Re: Some KDE programs load extremely slowly after partial upgrade

Am Samstag 17 September 2005 02:04 schrieb John O'Hagan:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using sarge and KDE 3.3.2 (custom 2.6.12 kernel from debian
> sources), but recently made substantial upgrades from etch, mainly for
> all the Xorg and gcc-4 stuff, but also udev, alsa-modules, and anything
> else that took my fancy at the time!

[...]

> Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Hello John,

might be mixed up packages versions in one sub system you updated. Did you
made sure you got all of the X11 related packages when you updated to
X.org? "export COLUMNS ;  dpkg -l | grep XFree86-Version-Number" in a
wide Konsole window might help you to find old XFree86 related packages.

Is there any CPU usage when you wait for an KDE application to be started
(check with "top")?

Delays without CPU usage  in KDE can be caused by non functional DCOP
communication or ICE communication or non functional KLauncher / kdeinit
stuff. Its a bit difficult to track down, and I often started with
deleting session files related to that kind of communication.

You could try whether logging out, doing  rm ~/.DCOPserver* and logging in
again helps. I do not think its ICE communication since that would delay
logging into KDE as well when there is some stale session, but you could
try "rm .ICEauthority" as well.

Did you try with moving ".kde" to somewhere else to get a clean KDE setup?
But you didn't update to KDE 3.4,2 anyway? Well still, this test is often
a good idea.

It might even make sense just a setup a new test user with "adduser" and
try with that test user. If it works there you at least now, that there
is something in your home directory triggering this trouble. If it
doesn't work with that test user, you now its something global ;).

I think you need to play Sherlock Holmes on that by excluding possible
causes for the problems unless there is nothing more left than the actual
cause.

Regards,