Re: USB pen drives and KDE

EmIscA wrote:

> But that pen drive works without errors if mounted manually?
> It seem's that it has filesystem errors on it, or it has damaged
> sectors... Bye

I don't think so, or root wouldn't be able to access it either.  Please
don't top-post.

> Graham Smith ha scritto:
>>Sep 15 14:05:17 localhost scsi.agent[23881]:      sd_mod: loaded
>>successfully (for disk)
>>Sep 15 14:05:18 localhost usbmount[23940]: executing command: mount -tvfat
>>-osync,noexec,nodev,noatime /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0
>>Sep 15 14:05:19 localhost usbmount[23940]: executing command:
>>run-parts /etc/usbmount/mount.d
>>*************SNIP*******************
>>Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: scsi9 (0:0): rejecting I/O to dead
>>device Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block 253)
>>failed Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: scsi9 (0:0): rejecting I/O to
>>dead device Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: FAT: Directory bread(block
>>254) failed Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: scsi9 (0:0): rejecting I/O
>>to dead device Sep 15 14:07:01 localhost kernel: FAT: Directory
>>bread(block 255) failed *************SNIP*******************
>>
>>if I am regular user. If I am root everything works fine and dandy and I
>>can copy files to and from the drive.

The mount command doesn't look right.  Surely it should have a -w or -o rw
in there?  I think you've got one too many packages installed.  This should
be being handled by pmount - I don't have usbmount (and the package
description says "USBmount is intended as a lightweight solution which is
independent of a desktop environment. Users which [sic] would like an icon
to appear when an USB device is plugged in should use the pmount and hal
packages instead".

>>I can see the drive in konqueror under media:/ (is there supposed to be a
>>media tab because I have to type that in manually?)

If you have device icons turned on on your desktop, it'll show up there, and
if you F9 in Konqueror, click on the Services icon on the left side, it'll
show up under "Storage devices"

>>however I can't safely
>>unmount it from there as I get this error message
>>
>>umount: /media/usb0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

Which is correct.

>>I was under the impression that it would all just work with KDE 3.4 but it
>>doesn't seem to.

It usually does.
--
derek