Running KDE 3.4.2 with Transparent Windows

Hi all!

I've switched on the (experimental) transluncency option in Control Center ->
Desktop -> Window Behavior -> Translucency. Works quite OK after minor
adjustments to xorg.conf and looks really nifty. Thanks for the packaging
effort, btw!

There are two issues and I'm wondering whether anybody else can share some
insight:

- It appears that with translucency turned on, i.e. kompmgr running, and all
other things unchanged to the best of my knowledge, some icons (laptop
battery power and knemo) in the systray go missing. Control Center -> KDE
Components -> Service Manager tells me they're running, but the systray icons
are just not there. Anybody else seeing this?

- The X server crashed earlier on, but I was multitasking and can't reproduce
it. Which is the best way to gather some debugging info, given that kdm
restarts the crashed X server thus overwriting /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
~/.xsession-errors? It seems as if /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old is helpful, but is
there anything else? Further, should bugs be filed against the X server or
kwin/kompmgr? Or rather not at all given that this feature is marked as
experimental?

Regards,
   Georg

--