Re: "dropouts" when playing multimedia

I use ALSA, and I use the oss plugin for xmms.  The sound server is not
relevant, because the same thing happens when the server is off. I don't
think my hardware is relevant either, because I have had the system for over
a year, and this started less than a week ago. The only thing that might have
changed on my system recently are upgrades from using apt-get.

Looking at "top", the only thing I notice is that under KDE the 'kded' program
is high up in both memory and CPU usage. Under Gnome there is a kded process
but it does not appear on the top list. I have no idea what kded is. Could
this possibly be the culprit?

Cheers,
James