Re: kdm resets on login

On 9/6/05, Brian Kimball <bk@bk.cx> wrote:
> Jean de Largentaye wrote:
>
> > After making the jump and upgrading to KDE 3.4.2, I cannot login
> > through KDM anymore.
> > The kdm login screen disappears, then I wait a few seconds for the
> > kde splash to appear, then X resets, and back to the login screen.
> > This happens whichever session I choose (of KDE, Larswm, or
> > failsafe).
> >
> > Starting a session through startx from a console works, however, and
> > brings me to KDE (btw: oooh shiny! ahem).
>
> I had the same problem, and traced it to the following in
> my .bash_profile (which is now sourced by /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession):
>
> if [ -z "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ]; then
>     exec ssh-agent bash --login
> fi
>
> This was turning my X session into a vanilla bash login shell which was
> exiting immediately (I'm guessing because there was no stdin or
> something, but this is where my knowledge fails me).
>
> So check your shell's login scripts.

Yup, that was it! I just commented out all my bastard login scripts
and it works now!
I din't have anything as evident as an 'exec' however. maybe the 'eval
dircolors'? Anyhow, the problem is identified. Thanks a lot!

> Perhaps a NEWS.Debian is needed?  Or am I the only one doesn't know how
> to use his .bash_profile? :-)

I agree :) Without your pointer, I never would have found the problem
for my user. (And you're not the only one...-_- )

John