Re: Removable media icon(s) on desktop?

Hi Nate -

I installed the dbus, hal, and pmount packages and Konquerer
dynamically displays icons for my memory stick and camera upon
insertion and removal.  Now, I would like these icons to pop up on the
desktop instead of just in Konquerer.  I know KNOPPIX does some
interesting stuff with UNIONFS and I'm not sure if that is involved
here.

just recently I figured that out for myself and documented it for my files. Have a look here: http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_debian/ar01s03.html#d0e659

Based on hal, udev, and hotplugging I use the usb-storage script of hotplug to copy the icons on my Desktop (on plugin of camera, stick etc.) and remove the icon upon unplug. This even allows me to display different icons, e.g. camera, USB stick, external drive.

Not sure if this is the 'usual' way but it works fine for me.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn