Re: In search of the 'Perfect' URI for usb printers

Ryan Schultz wrote:

On Thursday 14 July 2005 12:24 am, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
Ryan Schultz wrote:
On Wednesday 13 July 2005 01:53 pm, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Ryan Schultz wrote:
On Wednesday 13 July 2005 03:10 am, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
Ryan Schultz wrote:
On Tuesday 12 July 2005 01:21 pm, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
	I am trying to install an USB HP psc1210 printer on my Gateway 500
that was running woody but now running sarge.  I have a 2.6.12 kernel
available.
                        (stuff deleted)

Thanks!

(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless
I've got exactly the same printer/scanner (PSC1210) here working
flawlessly, so hopefully I can help you. First, make sure you've done
'apt-get install hplip foomatic-db-hpijs'. Once those are installed,
go into the KDE Print control section, remove the PSC1210 that may be
there (so we can go from scratch). Add a Printer, choose Local
Printer, and at the bottom pick the hp:/usb/psc_1200_series..
printer. Click next, and go to HP for your manufacturer, and then
choose 'PSC 1210 hpijs' as the Model. 'Next' through until its done,
and that should be it; you'll now have a printer at something similar
to:
ipp://telemachus:631/printers/PSC1210
hp:/usb/psc_1200_series?serial=12345678
Apparently there are 2 entries for Hewlett-Packard
printers:  one is labeled Hewlett-Packard
                     (stuff deleted)

      and the other is labeled hp.

Apparently there are print drivers from more than one source.

The serial number didn't show up in the printer section on the KDE
Control Center, but the other stuff looks
about identical to what you have.

BTW, do you also have a parallel printer?

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless,

      Yes, I was able to add the parallel printer back with a hpijs entry.

URI:ipp://gcomm:631/printers/hp697C

Device:parallel:/dev/lp0
Model:HP DeskJet 697C Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)

I got a better test page printout that was better centered with better
resolution than the one that I
got with woody way back when.

I used Kedit to print out a text file with different fonts.  The regular
Times New Roman at pitch 14
looks rather nice.

I noticed two entries for the psc 1210; one with hpijs, and one without.
The one with hpijs printed in color; I didn't get a test page with the
second.  Is the second one supposed to be black ink?
I'm not actually sure what the non-hpijs one does :- )
   It does nothing so far.
   I found out that it did nothing because I needed to change

Device:usb:/dev/usb/lp1

Device:usb:/dev/usb/lp0

which is the same line in psc1210color. Since the entries are the same printer, then the device should be the same. Once the change was saved, the test page that was scheduled previously started printing.

URI:ipp://gcomm:631/printers/psc1210color

Device:usb:/dev/usb/lp0
Model:HP PSC 1200 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)

         ... is what I have for the usb printer.

Can you get yours to print with the black ink cartridge?  It seems to
use composite color to produce
black.  I need to do some more testing, though.

Hm.. I've never noticed if it's using the black or the color cartridge when printing. However, it seems that the black on it is rather grayish when printed from Debian, but when it gets a print job from the one of the Windows machines in my network the black is very sharp. Let me know what you find out.
It may be a function of the font selection. Playing with the font choices in Kedit or your favorite
editor/word processor/word mangler may reveal more.

Anyway, both my parallel and usb printers now finally seem to be setup. Making the programs
that need to print use the proper path is probably the next step.

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/, No. 365760.
Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 GNU/Linux