bluedeath effect

Too many applications and processes cause terrible slowdowns and hangups which
is nearly has the same effect as the bluedeath effect known from the other
os. The most applications not response for about 5-10 minutes and/or crashes
so the X-server needs to be restarted. After restarting X with
ctrl+alt+backspace kde hand on startup and the system needs to be rebooted.
Yesturday it's happend when I've mounted a cd-rom and tried to open some
files for reading. But it also happens with some other applications (kdetoys,
evolution, etc. - I've already removed them, but I can't just remove every
suspicious application). I use Linux for years, but I never seen similar
things on other systems. KDE always was very stable. I've turned off every
special kde effects like animations, etc., but it doesn't help. Whan should I
do, check, etc. to fix it somehow? I have a relatively fast CPU (P4 2400) and
enough memory (512 RAM + 1 GB swap) and I don't run powerhungry applications,
so it should not happen. Can this problem be kernel dependable? I run the
official 2.6.8-2-686 Debian kernel, system: Sarge with the official KDE
3.3.2, and I don't have nothing from backports, unstable, testing, etc
installed.
Thanks in advance!