Re: Upgrading KDE and it's dependencies

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Miércoles, 6 de Julio de 2005 02:40, Bob Proulx escribió:
> > What answer do you choose?  What are your follow-up actions?  Please
> > be specific.
>
> 1. aptitude

Unfortunately that brings up an interactive GUI.  I have far too many
machines to interactively babysit each and every one of them
uniquely.  It is just not practical.

> 2. Mark, in the list of upgradable packages, all packages that you
> don't want explicitly installed as automatically installed
> (e.g. kdelibs-data, is a package that I don't want per se, so I mark
> it as automatically installed, and it will be removed if no other
> package needs it, but kept if another one needs it).

> 4. g
>
> 5. READ what happens. And with this I mean that you really should
> try to understand why it happens, and solve it, because it can be
> solved. In this screen you are supposed to check what is scheduled,
> and change what you don't want, instead of blindly pressing keys, or
> assuming everything is done.

Thanks for the suggestions here.  On the next upgrade that wants to
remove something that should not be removed I will try this and note
down what it is doing.

> > > I know this sounds harsh, but I think you need to keep your suggestions
> > > to yourself.  You're leading newbies wildly astray.
> >
> > I disagree.  One of the base values of Debian is that we will not hide
> > our problems.  Unfortunately KDE has definitely had a history of
> > upgrade problems.  So please do not ignore the issues.  That is not
> > doing users any good service.
>
> What is not going to do a good service to users, is to share a root
> account where everyone is doing things in a different way.  Teach
> them to use only aptitude or only apt-get, but the right way,
> please.

What are different ways to use aptitude which would be bad?  What is
an incorrect way to use aptitude?  I can't really think of any.  So
this statement leaves me not knowing what is being discussed.  To be
clear I am talking about these commands.  Are any of these incorrect
use of aptitude?  If so why?

  aptitude update
  aptitude install <package>
  aptitude install -d -y <package>
  aptitude install -s -y <package>
  aptitude remove <package>
  aptitude purge <package>
  aptitude upgrade
  aptitude dist-upgrade

Those are the commands I am talking about.  I may have forgotten one
along the way.  I am really not aware of any other uses of aptitude.

> Right now, is pretty easy to test that the KDE upgrades are working
> pretty well (just install sid in a chroot, and upgrade to a recent
> KDE version), so if you are experiencing that brokeness, is very
> probable that is a problem in your system.

And hopefully all behind us now that Sarge has released.

Bob