slowdowns and reboot

Under KDE I've discovered the following thing: Relatively often the KDE is
slowdown and the applications won't open and if I manage to open the
kinfocenter, it shows that I've nearly run out of memory and the amount of a
free memory is csanging with the incredible speed. Sometimes restart X
doesn't help, so I need to restart the whole system. First I thought that it
was my customly written script, but then I've discovered that this happen
even in many other situations with no visible reasons. I have 512 mb of RAM
and 1 GB swap with P4 2,4Ghz and I don't run any huge applications. What
things may cause a situations of that kind? Maybe some daemons running in the
background? This is not happen in gnome.