Re: KDE impossibly slow

On Friday 02 December 2005 07:18 pm, Marcel Silva wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I´ve just installed sarge (release 3.1r0a) on my
> Athlon XP 2600+, 512mb RAM, and I cannot get KDE
> to work in a tolerable speed. After I log on in kdm,
> I get the splash screen, which "hangs" in "starting system
> services"... I thought it had crashed, but after about 7
> minutes, it got KDE started!
>
> Inside KDE, things go really slow as well. After I click
> on the ´K´ button, it takes about 2-3 minutes for the menu
> to appear.
>
> Clearly no one can work with such a system.
>
> Strangely enough, windowmaker works just fine, while
> gnome won´t get started even after several minutes of waiting
> (unlike KDE).
>
> I´m a newbie to debian, but not to linux (at least I thought
> so until today). Can anybody figure what is going wrong?

This description sounds to me like your loopback interface isn't up.

$ /sbin/ifconfig lo
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

If that isn't the case, I suppose it could be outdated font-caches, so
running fc-cache -f as root might help.

Josh