Re: Xine error

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
>
>>Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
>>the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
>>void.
>

> Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with local law (they
> try anyway), e.g. the above statement would probably be meaningless in
> Germany.

Not only in Germany but in the whole European Union.  All hardware has a
2 year guarantee by law (for the first six months problems are assumed
to be caused by manufacturing errors and must be replaced, for the next
18 months it is the client who must prove that the piece is faulty).
Certain companies may offer a longer "straightforward" guarantee time,
but that's what the European Directive ("Directiva Europea" in Spanish,
I'm not sure about the translation).

So the guarantee about installing anything other than WinXP on you
laptop probably refers to the computer as a whole; but if you live in
Europe then the RAM modules, processor, DVD drive, etc etc are still
under legal guarantee if the two years aren't up.  If that is the case,
I'd recommend visiting a Consummers Office to get more accurate
information as to what to do next.
--
Lu.

 I will live forever or die trying.