Re: Xine error

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 08:11 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2005 07:39, larinia was heard to say:
> > Thanks Dave, I'll give them a try and see how it goes,
> > otherwise I will re-install wondows (last resort). The next
> > computer I buy won't be a laptop for sure!
> >
> > Larinia
>
> Mine, also, is a laptop. Unless I can get the problem to reoccur
> in Windows, the place I bought it won't service it. That's why I
> wasn't sure if it was driver based or not, since I did put
> Windows on it, and the "failing" DVDs were able to be read.
>
> Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
> the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
> void.

This is why I won't buy a laptop.  Proprietary crap, stupid licenses,
poor support from hardware manufacturers via their very pro Microsoft
warranties.  The bastards aren't getting any of my money!

> The service people had it for a month, because of a DVD drive
> failure, I only got it back a week ago. But the drive they put
> in isn't exactly the same as the one that was in it before. The
> lens configuration is different. But, like I said, if I cannot
> get it to fail in Windows then I just have to put up and shut
> up.
>
> The Microsoft OEM stranglehold must be broken!

<rant>

Unfortunately, no anti competition board (at least in Australia) is
interested in touching it.  Microsoft bribes, oops I mean pays the
politicians to ensure of this.  I've had the ACCC telling me that
Microsoft isn't a monopoly!  I, of course, begged to differ, since
Norway, Israel, Japan, The European union and of course, the United
States of America have all felt that Microsoft was indeed a monopoly.

The simplest way to solve this problem is not to buy their products, to
write them and state why you did not buy their product(s), and to tell
friends and family.  Lobbying your local MP incessantly does help also
(to an extent).

If only governments would actually stamp down on this sort of behaviour,
the PC market would open up in an instant, and for the better.
Microsoft would like you to think that the market is competitive, but,
if it's competitive, I'm Santa Claus.  Stop OEM manufacturers from
having OEM agreements such as the infamous Microsoft OEM agreement,
ensure that the customer can buy a laptop (or any other hardware)
without any software bundle, without any price penalty, if they choose
to do so.  Make illegal any warranties that penalise you for changing
operating systems (to one of your choice).  For far too long, the
computer industry has went without ANY regulation.

</rant>

> Curt-

Dave