Re: usb storage problems

> I continue to be stumped by USB storage devices in KDE. Only once with some
> older version of Knoppix did a USB stick appear automatically on the desktop
> when plugged in. I don't need this, but I do need at least to know under
> which name the device can be mounted. Even without other SCSI devices, the
> devices seem to vary from sda1 through sda5 to sdd1. I did once in a fit of
> frenzy create 20 different lines in /etc/fstab in order to find the right
> device, but it didn't really work. Years ago I could find the right device
> in /proc somewhere, but this no longer seems possible.
>
> People have recommended pmount, but all I get is:
> "find_sysfs_device: looking for sysfs directory for device 8:1
> Fehler: konnte sysfs-Verzeichnis nicht erfragen"
>
> People have recommended hal, but I am loathe to install this, because it would
> involve the deinstallation of about 20 packages on my system.
>
> People have recommended a 2.6 kernel, but my system with a 2.6 kernel has the
> same problems as with the 2.4 kernel.
>
> Looking through the internet I see a great many questions of this nature, but
> no simple answers. Also even worse, often when having found the right device
> name, it is impossible to mount because the system claims that it has the
> wrong file type or a damaged superblock even when this is definately not the
> case.
>
> Very occasionally when trying these things, KDE and even the whole system
> freeze up completely so that the machine must be rebooted by removing the
> power.
>
> Surely it must be possible in this day and age to get where Macintosh was 10
> years ago with SCSI, even if it wasn't hot-pluggable then. Devices appeared
> automatically on the desktop or could be easily mounted with some utility. I
> don't even need hot-plugable, but I do need a simple method to mount my
> camera, SD-cards, and external USB drive. Anybody got any ideas how to
> proceed?

I wanted to get all of this stuff working when I upgraded to the new KDE. I
first of all installed udev, hal and pmount, but it still didn't work. Finally
I spotted that udev needed a 2.6.12 kernel (I had 2.6.10 before), I upgraded
to this and everything seems to be working fine. I can now plug in a memory
stick or put in a new CD, the device icon appears on the desktop and clicking
on the icon mounts the device :-)

FYI: Pure Sid and the stock kernel.

Cheers

James Wells