Missing kde menus

Hi,

For some unknown reason practically all my KDE settings have vanished. I no
longer have any application menu entries (I have log out and run etc) on the
kicker (I think that's what it's called). All the application file type
associations have been lost as well.

I found this thread that seemed to be somewhat related
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005/04/msg00100.html) but the solution
mentioned in there (removing and re-adding a blank ~/.config/menus folder)
didn't work. Any ideas what might be wrong and how I can fix it. I am running
unstable so I suppose I should have expected this :o).

I have a back up of my home directory from a few days ago when the menu system
was working so if push comes to shove I suppose I could copy the menu files
over. Trouble is I don't know which files.

Many thanks,

Graham