Configuration Info Problem

This message pops up when starting KDE GUI:
"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for gnome-terminal. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

"Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 2: Failed to convert IOR '' to an object reference)"

I've visited the above link but it wasn't helpful to me, a newbie.
Did a locate for orbit and ior, read the README's, TODO's,etc. No help, didn't even know what was talked about.
Some programs no longer work in KDE.
I haven't a clue how to resolve this error message.  Please help.
Not subscribed to list.  PLEASE COPY MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
Thanks,
Leonard Chatagnier

PS-Using kernel image 2.6.8-2-686 and KDE version 3.3.2.