Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

Paul wrote:
Christopher Martin wrote:

On April 8, 2005 03:22, Bastian Venthur wrote:

I saw, that now the bug seems to be fixed, but I think not yet right.
Before the yesterdays change the defaultfonts were like:

Helevetica 12
courier 12
Helevetica 10
Helevetica 12
Helevetica 12
Helevetica 11
Helevetica 12

but now the default fonts are:

sans serif 10
monospace 10
sans serif 10
sans serif 10
sans serif 10
sans serif 10
sans serif 10

I think someone has forgotten to set the fontsizes right - there are all
a bi too small

These defaults are pretty much the same as used by GNOME (which is pretty good at setting defaults, but they also by default render fonts at 96 DPI,

As far as I know, I've never found a way to set dpi in KDE .. my monitor is supposed to run at 81 dpi, but I'm not sure what KDE is using. How can I tell what it is, and how to adjust it in KDE?

I always use the spin box to reduce it to 81 dpi in Gnome, but don't use gnome enought to draw any comparison.

which KDE, alas, does not), and they look fine here, and on the few other displays I've tested. Of course, many users have _very_ different displays, so I really, really want feedback and comments on these new defaults (positive or negative), so that if they're not suitable, I can adjust them before KDE 3.4 enters unstable.

and i *think* in the kde-default there also not all of the same size.

Hmmm, could you explain what you mean here?

Thanks,
Christopher Martin

I just have a personal preference of sans over serif fonts, so I always change them during my initial setup. For my monitor/driver, the Bitstream Vera Fonts always turn out better than any other. So, your change is fine with me, albeit I change to sans.

Paul

Ooops, I sent this to the user instead of list by mistake .. I wish T'bird would fix this. Here's the list version.

Paul