Re: kde 3.4 in sid

Am Mittwoch, 6. April 2005 19:09 schrieb Derek Broughton:
> On Wednesday 06 April 2005 13:20, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Integrated graphics is like integrated sound: it works if you don't
> > expect much. But in case of e.g. distorted sound, you are better off
> > getting something real.
>
> The "average" user doesn't need a great sound system and super 3d
> accelerated video on their computer.  In fact, I'd be surprised if there
> weren't more people using on-board video for Linux than for other OS's as
> we're not primarily a gaming community.  I'm using i815 right now, i915
> when the new laptop arrives in a week or so.

Everybody I know does not care for Pentium chipsets in desktop computers.
Those people also choose the ATI solution in laptops solely for this one
having its own memory because the video RAM access does not interfere with
the CPU's access to the system RAM. AFAIK, i815 still has those old issues,
doesn't it?

Also, there were quite some issues with 1400x1050 laptop displays and the
intel8xx X driver.

HS