Re: cdrom module loading causes hangup

Am Wednesday 09 March 2005 05:42 schrieb Aaron Frerichs:
> I have a new Asus M5N laptop on which I installed Debian Linux.  It
> works nearly perfectly, except that it hangs for about 10-20 seconds
> after I have been using KDE for around 2-3 minutes.  I checked
> /var/log/message and /var/log/syslog, and it seems to be trying to load
> a bunch of cdrom modules, that I don't need.
>
> Anybody have a clue as to what program is trying to load these modules?
>  And then, anyone have a way to stop the program from trying?
>
> Here is a sample from /var/log/messages
>
> Mar  6 21:57:12 noire kernel: Did not find a Sony CDU-535 drive
> Mar  6 21:57:12 noire kernel: sbpcd-0 [01]:  sbpcd.c v4.63 Andrew J.
> Kroll
[snip]

Usually this is caused by discover, which does automatic hardware detection,
and these modules are needed for some older CD-ROMs, which cannot be detected
by other means than loading all possible drivers and seeing, if the driver
manages to detect a device.

Try removing discover (apt-get remove discover) and see if that fixes it. I
have never really needed automatic hardware detection at boot or runtime, so
I usually remove that as one of the first steps after install...

Patrick
--
Patrick Dreker

GPG KeyID  : 0xFCC2F7A7 (Patrick Dreker)
Fingerprint: 7A21 FC7F 707A C498 F370  1008 7044 66DA FCC2 F7A7
Key available from keyservers