Installing KDE 3.x on Debian

Hi!

First of all, please excuse me since this is the second time I'm asking almost the same question :). The problem is, again, how to install KDE 3.x on Woody (r2)? Recently I was forced to reinstall Debian on my Compaq Armada laptop and I did it with the bf24-kernel which comes with the distro CDs. X-Window was the only selection with tasksel, ignoring dselect altogether, so the installation was quite minimal this time. After completing the installation I added Debian security site to sources.list and ran dist-upgrade.

The actual problem emerges when I add a KDE packet source or a mirror site(s) to sources.list and run apt-get update:

Get: 1 (any KDE mirror ftp/http) stable/main Packages
Get: 2 (any KDE mirror ftp/http) stable/main Release
Ign (any KDE mirror ftp/http) stable/main Release

It seems that the Release is missing. I've tried several sources (ftp.kde.org, download.kde.org and several mirrors) and version directories (from 3.1.5 to 3.3.1). Running 'apt-get install kdebase' reports missing backages and broken dependencies. Dist-upgrade affects only X-window-system and tries to remove almost every package else related to X-Window. I've also tried removing installation CDs and Debian package sources from sources.list, but without any effect.

Last time when I asked help with the issue, I had instructions to add a KDE package source to sources.list and run apt-get update, and so forth. This time it doesn't work and the only thing that has really changed is the newer kernel. Could somebody help me with this please? I would be thankful if you could point me the related documents or howtos to read also. I would really like to understand whats going on. Thank you in advance,

Ville Koivisto

Nopea ja hauska tapa lähettää viestejä reaaliaikaisesti - MSN Messenger. http://messenger.msn.fi Lataa nyt käyttöösi ilmaiseksi.