Re: X.org debs?

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 00:09 -0400, Antiphon wrote:
> Are there any X.org debs floating around somewhere? I haven't seen any
> discussion of it in the list.

I was able to make a working xorg package that works.  (I'm using the
x.org server now.)

I basically found which packages were needed for building x.org here:

http://incubator.vislab.usyd.edu.au/roller/page/Steve?catname=Debian

(The R6.8.1 tarball works well; for me, the cvs version didn't compile
the day I used it.  Also, the directions on that site are great for
xcompmgr.)

Then, I installed checkinstall.

I ran, in the xc source tree,
make World

Then, as root, I ran (in the same tree)
checkinstall

I then had a mostly working x.org server package.
All that needed to be done in the postinstall was
symlink X11R6 -> /usr/wherever_you_installed_xorg
symlink xkb -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
copy one or two keymappings from the old X11R6 directory
(/lib/X11/xkb/compat) to the new directory (xfree86 may be the only one
needed)

If you go this route, have fun--it's fairly easy.

If I had the uplink bandwidth, I'd clean up my package and post it for
the adventurous.