Re: System Backup?

Robert Tilley wrote:
> I am planning to re-install my Knoppix/Debian system.  (I
> neglected to make a boot disk the first time...)

You don't have to reinstall whole system if you need just a boot
disk. Just go ahead start installation but when the first
question comes up (selection of Language), ignore and switch to
the second console with Alt+F2. There you get root console and
you can fix whatever is necessary -- it is slightly akward,
because you don't have a root where you expect it (whole hard
disk is mounted as /target), but it is workable. Alternatively,
if the damage is not so big, instead of pressing [ENTER] in the
welcome screen of Debian installation, press [F3] and read
instructions there. What you probably need is to write down

rescue root=/dev/<partition where root is>[ENTER]

You get your system bootem from the installation CD, but with
your root as root.

 Hope, you'll can make your Debian work again,

  Matej

--
Matej Cepl,