dcop and NIS/NFS

Hello!

I have quite a strange problem with dcop. We are using kde 3.2 in a NIS/NFS
environment, and it runs quite smooth. But recently I started to write a
system script which tries to open a dcop connection to a user currently
logged in (as that user). Since this seems to be quite a common task I found
a lot of scripts doing this as well.

They ll used a mechanism like
 dcop --user $user --list-sessions |grep DCOP |head -1
to get hold of the current session.

When I try this on my machine I get the following warning:

 [albiez] $dcop --user albiez --list-sessions
 WARNING: Cannot determine home directory for user albiez!
 Please check permissions or set the $DCOPSERVER variable manually before
 calling dcop.
 No active sessions

At first I was a bit astonished (where is the problem in finding my
home-dir), but after some fiddling around I found out that when I do
  [albiez] $dcop --all-users --list-sessions

I get:
 WARNING: Cannot determine home directory for user +@nis-group1!
 WARNING: Cannot determine home directory for user +@nis-group2!
 WARNING: Cannot determine home directory for user +@nis-group3!
 Please check permissions or set the $DCOPSERVER variable manually before
 calling dcop.

This looks like as if the dcop programm doesn't use the classical
libc-mechanism to parse and evaluate passwd! Otherwise the nis things would
have been transparent. Since I don't have the time to start reading the
sources of dcop, I would like to know if somebody else has the same problem.

This might not be an exclusive debian problem but since I am using
debian i386/testing I ask here first.

blue skies
	Jan

BTW:

[albiez] $dpkg -l kde\* | grep ii
ii  kde            3.1.2          The K Desktop Environment
ii  kde-amusements 3.1.2          The K Desktop Environment (Games and Toys)
ii  kde-core       3.1.2          The K Desktop Environment (Core)
ii  kde-i18n-de    3.2.3-2        German (de) internationalized (i18n) files
ii  kde-i18n-engb  3.2.3-2        British English (en_GB) internationalized
(i
ii  kde-theme-matt 0.2.0.1-3      Matte family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-meta 0.2.0.1-3      Metallic family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-neon 0.2.0.1-3      Neon family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-past 0.2.0.1-3      Pastel family of themes for KDE
ii  kde-theme-swee 0.2.0.1-3      Sweetpill family of themes for KDE
ii  kdeaddons      3.2.3-2        add-on plugins and applets provided with
KDE
ii  kdeaddons-kfil 3.2.3-2        KDE file dialog plugins for text files and
ii  kdeadmin       3.2.2-1        KDE Administration tools metapackage
ii  kdeadmin-kfile 3.2.2-1        KDE File dialog plugins for deb and rpm
file
ii  kdeartwork     3.2.3-2        themes, styles and more from the official
KD
ii  kdeartwork-mis 3.2.3-2        various multimedia goodies released with
KDE
ii  kdeartwork-sty 3.2.3-2        widget styles released with KDE
ii  kdeartwork-the 3.2.3-2        Dummy upgrade package for official KDE
deskt
ii  kdeartwork-the 3.2.3-2        icon themes released with KDE
ii  kdeartwork-the 3.2.3-2        window decoration themes released with KDE
ii  kdebase        3.2.2-1        KDE Base metapackage
ii  kdebase-bin    3.2.2-1        KDE Base (binaries)
ii  kdebase-data   3.2.2-1        KDE Base (shared data)
ii  kdebase-dev    3.2.2-1        KDE Base (development files)
ii  kdebase-doc    3.2.2-1        KDE Base Library Documentation
ii  kdebase-kio-pl 3.2.2-1        KDE I/O Slaves
ii  kdeedu         3.1.5-2        educational apps from the official KDE
relea
ii  kdeedu-data    3.1.5-2        shared data for KDE educational
applications
ii  kdegames       3.2.3-1        KDE Games metapackage
ii  kdegames-card- 3.2.3-1        Card decks for KDE games
ii  kdegraphics    3.2.2-1        KDE Graphics metapackage
ii  kdegraphics-kf 3.2.2-1        provide meta information for graphic files
ii  kdelibs        3.2.3-2        KDE core libraries metapackage
ii  kdelibs-bin    3.2.3-2        KDE core binaries
ii  kdelibs-data   3.2.3-2        KDE core shared data
ii  kdelibs3-doc   2.2.2-13.woody KDE core library documentation
ii  kdelibs4       3.2.3-2        KDE core libraries
ii  kdelibs4-dev   3.2.3-2        KDE core libraries (development files)
ii  kdelirc        3.2.2-2        KDE infrared control
ii  kdemultimedia  3.2.2-1        KDE Multimedia metapackage
ii  kdemultimedia- 3.2.2-1        KDE Multimedia (development files)
ii  kdemultimedia- 3.2.2-1        au/avi/m3u/mp3/ogg/wav plugins for kfile
ii  kdemultimedia- 3.2.2-1        Support for browsing audio CDs under
Konquer
ii  kdenetwork     3.2.2-1        KDE Network metapackage
ii  kdepasswd      3.2.2-2        KDE password changer
ii  kdepim         3.2.2-2        KDE Personal Information Management
metapack
ii  kdepim-dev     3.2.2-2        KDE Personal Information Management
[develop
ii  kdepim-kfile-p 3.2.2-2        KDE File dialog plugins for vcf files
ii  kdepim-kio-plu 3.2.2-2        KDE pim I/O Slaves
ii  kdeprint       3.2.2-1        KDE Print
ii  kdesdk         3.2.3-2        KDE Software Development Kit
ii  kdesdk-doc     2.2.2-7        docs for the KDE Software Development Kit
ii  kdesdk-kfile-p 3.2.3-2        KDE file dialog plugins for source and
patch
ii  kdesdk-misc    3.2.3-2        various goodies from the KDE Software
Develo
ii  kdesdk-scripts 3.2.3-2        a set of useful development scripts for
KDE
ii  kdesktop       3.2.2-1        KDE Desktop
ii  kdessh         3.2.2-2        KDE ssh frontend
ii  kdetoys        3.2.3-3        toys from the official KDE release
ii  kdetoys-doc-ht 3.2.3-3        KDE toys documentation in HTML format
ii  kdeutils       3.2.2-2        KDE Utilities metapackage
ii  kdevelop       2.1.5.1-7      An IDE for Unix/X11
ii  kdevelop-data  2.1.5.1-7      Platform independent data files for the
kdev
ii  kdevelop-doc   2.1.5.1-7      Documentation for the kdevelop package
ii  kdewallpapers  3.2.3-2        wallpapers released with KDE

--
-- Jan Christian Albiez -- IDS Interactive Diagnosis- and Servicesystems --
-- FZI -- Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14 -- 76131 Karlsruhe -- +49 721 9654 206 --