Sarge/DAC960/grub

I have set up a system with a DAC960 card and three SCSI drives. The
raid is working okay, Debian formats and installs the base system okay.
When it comes time to install a boot loader, grub is the suggested
default, it suggests the mbr. The mbr for my raid disk is /dev/rd/c0d0.
Installing grub to /dev/rd/c0d0 results in a kernel panic.

If I change to a different terminal before installing grub, using 'df' I
see syntax such as /dev/rd/host0/target0/part(x).

where should I install grub ?

TIA

Greg Madden