Howto load i18n?

Hi folks,

I recently installed the latest Debian in Vmware as guest os. It works like
a charm. I really like it. But there couple of issues I have to deal with.
Hoping you can help me out.  I have all Lao (KDE) mo files located under
/usr/share/locale/lo/mo*. In Control Center, I changed language to Lao then
select Lao OT fonts for Menu under Appearance and Themes. Nothing happens.
Though I try to shutdown the KDE apps and start them, but still nothing
happens. How do you load any other languages in Debian? What are steps I
need to accomplish this? I recall a friend saying that Debian is much more
friendly then others in terms of internationalization.I recall that was how
I loaded Lao under Mandrake. Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Anousak