solved (possible bug) - Re: servicemenu not recognized

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Christian Schuerer wrote:
your example works on my system, but I would...

Exec=gunzip $F

... use %F here (seems to be a typo).

Yup, a typo, thanks.

Maybe the service-types are the problem why it doesn't show up on your system.
E.g., this service menu didn't show up on archives from ark, only on files
ending with .gz or .zip.

Try using a set of the following mime-types:
<...>
application/x-tgz,
<...>
(taken from the ark-service menu)

Hmmm, on my system I expect it to show up for files matching the following globs: *.gz, *.tgz, *.z, *.Z (the first two from x-gzip, the other two from x-compress (had to add in *.z); I missed the x-tgz mime type).

The problem was that I was testing on files ending with .tgz and .tar.gz and expecting the x-gzip service-type to pick them up. As it turns out KDE classifies them as x-tgz. :-(

I wonder if *.tgz appearing in both x-gzip and x-tgz is a bug; or maybe KDE not picking up *.tar.gz as an x-gzip is a bug.

Hope I could help a bit,

You found a typo I'd missed, a few times, and brought x-tgz to my attention... so, your hopes are fulfilled. :-)

Thank You.

- Bruce