Re: How to get rid of KVim

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:32:25 -0400
Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

S> On Wednesday 23 June 2004 11:27 am, Alexander Nordström wrote:
S> > On Wednesday, 23 Jun 2004 21:14, David Goodenough wrote:
S> > > It seems to be a pre-req for any KDE install, try to remove it
S> > > (at least under Debian) and most of KDE seems to want to go away.
S> >
S> > It is not.
S>
S> I wonder where the insane dependencies are.  IIRC, I installed the
S> "kde" metapackage, which pulled in kvim and the kitchen sink.  I
S> can't remove kvim without some trouble.
S>
S> ->apt-get remove kvim
S> Reading Package Lists... Done
S> Building Dependency Tree... Done
S> The following packages will be REMOVED:
S>   kde kdeaddons kvim vimpart
S> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
S> Need to get 0B of archives.
S>
S> ->apt-get remove vimpart
S> Reading Package Lists... Done
S> Building Dependency Tree... Done
S> The following packages will be REMOVED:
S>   kde kdeaddons vimpart
S> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
S> Need to get 0B of archives.
S>
S>
S> I did get rid of it once through some trickery, but it came back as a
S> side effect of some subsequent action (probably an update), and I
S> decided to leave it alone.
S>
S> I don't really remember all of this very clearly, but I seem to
S> recall I had to hand edit one of apt's files in var to get rid of
S> this thing without taking all of KDE with it.  It got quite ugly.

Remember that KDE and KDEADDONS are not "real" packages in that they
don't contain any programs they are just containers that install a
particular list of KDE packages one of which is kvim. Therefore if you
want "all of KDE except kvim" then you have 2 options (1) Install all
the component parts manually or (2) install KDE and let it drag
everything in and then remove kvim (which will remove the "kde" package
but not all the real bits of KDE)

James

P.S. To really remove KDE you need to remove kdelibs*

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |