Re: How to get rid of KVim

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 16:27, Alexander Nordström wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 Jun 2004 21:14, David Goodenough wrote:
> > It seems to be a pre-req for any KDE install, try to remove it (at least
> > under Debian) and most of KDE seems to want to go away.
>
> It is not.
>
> # apt-get remove kvim
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kvim
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 1892kB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.
>
> > Why was KVim added as the default editor (at least when you
> > open files with Konqueror) when we have so many other good
> > editors?
>
> Most likely because vimpart is installed. From "apt-cache show vimpart":

>  This package allows the text editor Vim to be embedded into a number of
>  different KDE applications.  It does this by encapsulating Vim within a
>  KPart (an embedded KDE component).
>  .
>  Applications that can make use of the Vim part include KDevelop,
>  Konqueror and KWrite.
>  .
>  Note that this component requires a graphical version of Vim (such as KVim
>  or GVim) to be installed separately.  The Vim component may also need
>  to be configured before use - this can be done in the KDE Components
>  section of the KDE Control Centre.
>  .
>  This package is part of the KDE add-ons module.
>
> (end)
>
> It would seem to be a reasonable assumption that if one has installed
> vimpart, one wants to use it rather than the default Embedded Advanced Text
> Editor. Naturally, this is still configurable from the Control Centre->KDE
> Components->Component Chooser->Embedded text editor.
>
> > I know I can go through all the associations in Konqueror and
> > remove KVim, but I want to do it automatically so that my users
> > do not keep on having to replicate this action.
>
> My guess is that the reason programs would be removed along with kvim is
> that those programs have been installed through metapackages such as
> kde-extras, kdeaddons, and kdekitchensink.
>
> If you desperately need the 1.8 MiB, the individual packages of those
> metapackages do not require kvim or vimpart and can be installed
> individually. Simply choosing another editor component would seem easier,
> though.
>
> --
> Alex Nordstrom

I looked at the Control Centre, and the Embedded text editor was already
set to the Embedded Advanced Text editor, rather than KVim.

I really do not care whether Vim and its friends are installed, what I mind
about is what the user sees and how to make sure that it is not Vim.  I do not
understand why it was thought that Vim would be a good idea for ordinary
end users.

David