kaffeine, noatun, kaboodle crash xserver on startup after upgrade to KDE 3.2.2

I just did 'apt-get dist-upgrade' on my laptop running testing/unstable, and
now kaffeine, noatun, and kaboodle crash my xserver as soon as they put up a
video window.  With noatun, I hear a fraction of a second of appropriate
sound before the xserver crashes.  I can also use the playlist interface -
the crash only occurs when the video window comes up.

I'm using oss sound drivers (alsa won't initialize), and used noatun
successfully before the upgrade.

I'm using the 'generic ati' video drivers.  According to /proc/pci I have a
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev
100)

KDE 3.2.2
noatun 3.2.2-1
xserver-common 4.3.0