Re: unstable: apt-get install cupsys

Am Donnerstag 03 Juni 2004 23:52 schrieb Daniel Serpell:
> El Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:31:02PM +0200, Ralph Paßgang escribio:
> > > Yes, a lot! Thanks. I will try it out as soon as I can. I already have
> > > the .deb - files, but didn't try --force-all. (I was scared)
> >
> > hmmm... "--force-depens" should be enough for this. But I never tried it
> > :)
> >
> > But you should know that when cups is installed this way at the next time
> > you run: "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" apt-get wants to remove cups
> > again (or maybe even kde instead of cups), because the actual conflict
> > still exists and apt-get always tries to fix such conflicts.
>
> I solved the dependencies manually editing /var/lib/dpkg/status file,
> changing the dependencies of kdelibs4 and kdelibs-bin,
>  from
>     "libcupsys2 (>= 1.1.19final-1)"
>     "libcupsys2 (>= 1.1.19final-1) | libcupsys2-gnutls10"
>
> Then, you can install current cups and all other depending packages
> (such as samba and gnome). And KDE works Ok.
>
>     Daniel.

be carefull when editing files under: /var/lib/dpkg! If you brake something
important here your debian system is not updateable anymore (apt & dpkg
doesn't work anymore!). Always make a backup before changing something here!
I can't say it often enough.

With "apt-get install --reinstall <package>" it is more or less harmless when
you brake something in your system, but in the dpkg-files itself you have to
be very careful.

and don't forget that an: apt-get update will override your changes again
(afaik). at least the next cups upgrade will do so.

--Ralph