kmail and address book

Although I have been using kmail for a long time, I have only recently started
to look at using the address book.

kaddressbook has been set up with a few entries in it.

If I go to kmail tools menu and select "address book", I open kaddressbook and
can select entries from it and use it to send a message.

However, when I compose a message from scratch, I would expect to hit the
button with the three dots on the right hand side to bring up a dialog box
that lets me select an address from the address book.  Instead it gives me a
list of recent addresses but no entries, or indication of how to get to the
book.

Is this the correct behaviour? If not, how can I change it? (my .kde directory
is quite old, so it maybe that its got a wrong setting somewhere which the
current software doesn't allow me to change).
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk