Lost system notifications

Last week sometime, I rebooted linux 2.4 (from 2.6).  As a result sound was
not installed (because 2.6 uses alsa).

I logged into my kde account and obviously something there detected that there
was no sound server because sound for the system notifications has stopped.
Playing with control centre does not get it back - although testing sound
within the "sound system" page of the control centre does actually play
something.

I can log into root and kde plays the system startup notification there just
fine.

I presume there is something in ./kde/share/config that I need to tweak.  Can
someone point me at what.

Thanks
--
Alan Chandler