Re: Upgrading to Sarge in hope for KDE 3.x

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 11.55, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

[edit sources.list and]

> Then do
>
>  # apt-get update
>  # apt-get dist-uprgade
>
> Then wait and hope for the best.. If something breaks, I would purge it
> and everything related, and reinstall the packages.

I'd recommend apt-get -u dist-upgrade (in an xterm, the list will probably
be several screens) and have a quick look for anything suspicious.
Especially: it could be trying to uninstall half your system - if it tries
to do that, try to find (or guess) the critical packages and use apt-get
install to upgrade them manually (with all their dependencies) until
apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't remove anything that you don't want removed.

Another issue: on some platforms and for some libc6/kernel combinations, you
may need to upgrade the kernel, as the new libc6 will not run with an old
kernel.  Not sure what platforms and versions are affected, though.

I don't want to say that the upgrade is difficult, but better pay attention
rather than having to re-install the system.

greetings
-- vbi
(Debian: the Linux you only install once. potato, in my case.  And countless
systems have since started as clones of that original system)

--
TODO: apt-get install signify