Re: Slow program opening, installation size and window tiling

James,

I'm new to Debian, but it looks like I've got a similar problem.  Every so
often, it takes a looooong time for a window to open.

I'm using Sarge (Debian 3.x), but I've upgraded to the front of the testing
release using a mix of apt-get and Synaptic's Package Manager.  My kernel
version is 2.6.8-1-686, KDE is version 4:3.1.2, and GDM 2.6.0.4-1.

For me, it looks like the problem occurs when a program tries to open a
network connection to port 111 (FWIW).

It would be interesting to know what you get if you open your favorite
command terminal (e.g. Konsole) and type "strace kwrite".  In my world,
this dumps a ton of gook to the screen, and stops on this line:

connect(11, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(111),
sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16

When that finally times out, KWrite opens and is fine.

-MM