Re: "No Text!" in kde menu bar and duplicated items

On Thursday 14 October 2004 10:22, Massimiliano Mirabello wrote:
> Matej Cepl wrote:
> > Sorry, no idea what to do next.
> >
> > Matej
> >

> Tank you all anyway.
>
> I SOLVED!!!

Let's find the really problem, before we declare it solved ;)

On Sunday 10 October 2004 00:55, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> Just an FYI for anyone upgrading from 3.1.4 to 3.2.xx series, the gotcha in
> the woody debs, is that the new packages in some cases (kedit,kpdf etc) only

What version of do you use?

 dpkg -l *kdelibs\* kpdf kedit | grep ^[^up]

What your output of:

$ strace kpdf 2>&1 | grep ui_standards
access("/home/ach/.kde/share/config/ui/ui_standards.rc", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
access("/etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc", R_OK) = 0
stat64("/etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=6130, ...}) = 0
open("/etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 10

compare with output of a app that finds the ui_standards file in /etc/.
What version has this package?

> look for the ~/.kde/share/config/ui/ui_standards.rc only, and not the
> default /etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc file.

that's strange.  What do you get:

$ locate ui_standards.rc
/etc/kde3/ui/ui_standards.rc

$ kde-config --path config
/home/ach/.kde/share/config/:/etc/kde3/

$ ls -l /usr/share/config
ls: /usr/share/config: No such file or directory

> Possibly new users will get this file created, I did not check yet.

No.

> Without that file in the users home directories, the app specific text items
> will only show.  This also causes duplicate items somehow, but was resolved
> also by adding this file.

that's a workaround that hides the real problem ;)

> Really, the programs should be looking for the presence of a default standards
> file, if the users one is missing.

Right.  This normally is the standard kde behaviour.

> I am not on the developers list, but someone who is might see if this is
> already mentioned there.

I suggest any sarge KDE user with problems to include
testing-proposed-updates in it's sources list: E.g.,

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sarge-proposed-updates main contrib non-free

don't forget to logout/login and restart kdm ;)

Achim
                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com