Re: KMail PGP/MIME howto and Debian

On August 30, 2004 02:52 pm, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

> > What?  And force those who couldn't care less about PGP to install it?
> > KMail runs just fine without libgpgme, so why should it depend on it?
> >
> > Now, if you install kgpg, you should get everything you need complete
> > with the KMail plugins
>
> kgpg is just a frontend to OpenPGP.

It shouldn't matter.  Actually it's a frontend for GnuPG.  Gnupg depends on
libgpgme and cryptplug - the things you need for KMail.  The very odd thing,
to my mind, is that KGPG doesn't actually depend on gnupg!  It doesn't even
"recommend" or "suggest" it.  There's also something odd about the packaging
of cryptplug, because even though it's required by gnupg, deborphan always
reports it as an orphan.

> KMail 3:3.3.0 crashed for me when selected one of it's crypto plugins.
> Now (at home) I don't use any plugin but at work I had to select one which
> makes using KMail less comfortable then in KDE 3.2.x times - giving
> passphrase with each mail is worse method then before solution where
> I just entered it once.
>
> Maybe one day gpg-agent will be included in Debian archive...

Kgpg certainly tells me I can turn on gpg-agent.  I don't know if it really
works, because I can't use much in the way of gpg from here anyway (stupid
client's firewall won't let me talk to keyservers).
--
derek