JuK with GStreamer instead of arts

I'm only using two apps with sound output right now: JuK and Kaffeine.
Kaffeine (xine) plays directly to ALSA. That leaves JuK as the only
user of arts. As JuK has an option to output to GStreamer, I'd like to
try that and get rid of arts.

I've asked about this several months ago and got the advice to install
gstreamer-plugins. Back then, I didn't get very far, yesterday I tried
again.

I was able to play an mp3 file like this

~$ gst-launch filesrc location=music.mp3 ! mad ! osssink

alsasink didn't work, though. No sound from JuK, unfortunately. It seems
to go through a track as fast as the CPU can decode it, in the process
using almost 90+% CPU. Doing this, JuK always crashed pretty soon.

I don't really understand how GStreamer is supposed to work. Don't I
have to configure anything? How are suitable plugins selected?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig               Most people would rather die than think.
mailto:michael@schuerig.de                            In fact, they do.