How to replace fonts?

I have a rare bug on my system which makes it so that Opera cannot use the
font Verdana. It's quite a strange one and not even reliably reproducible (it
only occurs on one of my PCs) so the Opera staff hasn't been able to really
work on it.

AAR, I'd like to get around the bug by using fontconfig to make Bitstream Vera
Sans be an alias for Verdana so that after I delete Verdana, any time an app
wants it, it will be given Vera Sans instead. Is this possible?

TIA for any help.