Re: display problem (correction)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Michael Rudmin wrote:

So in Debconf, I selected VESA/8 bit/600x800, and
told
it to assign 512 MB to the card.

correction, I meant 512 kB, or half a megabyte.

that's better

It sounds like you need to play with the modelines yourself, instead of taking the first one offered by XFree.

Iirc, its been awhile, the startup logs (/var/log/XFree86.<display>.log) should have a list of modelines... pick a valid one for the resolution you want which is not marked as the default and enter it into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. If there is nothing there then you may need to craft one yourself...

...good luck, I've always been real lucky and managed to find one without having to figure out how to do that.

- Bruce