Re: OT: Commercial IM networks considered harmful

Doug Holland <meldroc@frii.com> writes:

> On Monday 12 July 2004 4:04 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Doug Holland <meldroc@frii.com> writes:
>> > So right now all I'm missing is Yahoo! messaging.  But these days I
>> > tend to use AIM.
>>
>> I encourage the people I IM with to move to Jabber because it gives you
>> choice without breaking randomly from time to time.  Jabber Just
>> Works(tm).
>
> I do have a Jabber account - you're preaching to the choir here, but a
> lot of my computer-semi-literate friends don't want to switch from
> AIM/MSN/ICQ/Yahoo! so I have to have accounts for those services if I
> want to message them.

Right, so do I, but I try to get people to move that way.  Especially
since there are some good gateways to the major networks.

Speaking of which, just so I can answer this question in the future,
does anybody here use a particularly reliable gateway to the commercial
networks on Jabber regularly to be able to vouch for stability?  If so,
which gateway?