Increasing Screen Resolution

My screen resolution is currently 1024x768.  The desired resolution is
1280x1024.

I have dpkg-reconfigure'd xserver-xfree86, edited /etc/X11/XF86Config,
edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and experimented with KRandR.  The only mode
that is still present is 1280x1024, however 1024x768 is still used.  Nothing
I have done has changed this.

Needless to say, I need help.  What can I do to increase
my screen resolution to 1280x1024?

Bob, thanks!
--
It is better to kiss an avocado than to get in a fight with an aardvark.