can't print from kde

I'm running knoppix, which is more or less debian testing.  I've just
upgraded most of my system to kde 3.2.2, including kdebase which
includes kdeprint.  I also have the latest cupsomatic-ppd.

Whenever I try to print anything from within kde the application which
calls kdeprint, konqueror, kspread, etc, freezes for a moment and then
crashes.  If I run a kde app from the command line and try to print,
the last line of output is "Alarm clock".  I take that to mean that
something is timing out.

I probably have something either misconfigured or out of synch.  I would
welcome any suggestions to help track down the problem.

Thanks,

--
Bud Rogers	<budr@netride.net>	 KD5SZ