Re: linux crashes when switching between vt7 and vt8

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Juergen Bausa wrote:

> I am using debian woody with kernel 2.4.25 (backports.org) and kde
> 3.1.4. X uses the driver from nvidia. When I start two graphical vts
> using kdm and try to switch between them using Ctrl-alt-Fx, somtimes
> the x-server, to which i am switching, restarts. Some times the wohle
> system crashes (even ctrl-alt-backspace wont help). This happens
> after approx. 20 times switching. After a crash, I cannot find anything
> specific in the logs.
>
> Since I thought, the nvidia-drivers causes this, I tried the driver
> nv. But that didnt help. I also tried different kernel (2.4.18, 2.4.21 and
> 2.4.25) and different kde versions (3.1.3, 3.1.4) -- with no success. When
> I start my second X-server from vt2 using startx, the problem did not
> occur (at least until now). So I think maybe kdm is the problem.
>
> Does anyone know this problem and can give some hint?

I doubt that it's kde that freezes the box. AFAIK kde doesn't ever access
the HW directly. I'd say it's the nvidia driver. Have you tried to
up/downgrade the nvidia driver yet? Have you checked that the nvida
driver, the kernel and the various openGL bits fit together?
*t

  Tomas Pospisek
  http://sourcepole.com -  Linux & Open Source Solutions